Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communications, or Machine Type Communications (MTC), is a key segment in future cellular mobile packet data networks. Initial 3GPP efforts have focused on the ability to differentiate MTC devices, allowing operators to selectively handle MTC devices in congestion/overload situations. 3GPP has added additional specifications to integrate M2M communications into the overall network.
Some outside forecasts show that the MTC analytics industry will grow robustly over the next several years. These forecasts includes revenue segmentation for the five components that together enable analytics to be used in M2M services: data integration, data storage, core analytics, data presentation, and associated professional services. MTC therefore has a close relationship with the Big Data space, with each contributing to the other’s projected growth.
dsTest supports the MTC Diameter (client and server) interfaces on the following MTC network entities in 3GPP LTE and 5G core networks:
- MTC Interworking Function (MTC-IWF)
- MTC Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (MTC-AAA)
- dsTest Home Subscriber Server (HSS)
- Services Capabilities Server (SCS)
- Service Capability Exposure Function (SCEF)
- Packet Flow Description Function (PFDF)
- SMS-Service Center/Gateway Mobile Services Switching Center (GMSC)/InterworkingMSC (IWMSC)
- Mobility Management Entity (MME)
- Policy and Charging Rules Function (PCRF)
- Offline Charging Server (OFCS)
dsTest can surround a CIoT Serving Gateway Node (C-SGN) with all the interfaces needed to verify the MME, SGW, and PGW functions required of the C-SGN.
dsTest provides support for MTC/CIoT and C-SGN testing with the following 4G and 5G interfaces:
- OMA ReSTful Network APIs (SCS/AS ↔ SCEF)
- Nu (SCEF ↔ PFDF)
- Nt (SCEF ↔ PCRF)
- S6m/S6n (HSS (server) ↔ MTC-IWF/MTC-AAA (client))
- S6t (SCEF (client) ↔ HSS (server))
- T4 (MTC-IWF (client) ↔ SMS-SC/GMSC/IWMSC (server))
- T6a/T6b (MME/SGSN (client) ↔ SCEF (server))
- Tsp (SCS (client) ↔ MTC-IWF (server))
- SGd/Gdd (MME/SGSN ↔ GMSC)
- Rf (MTC-IWF ↔ OFCS)
The S6m/S6n Interface Application supports the following procedures/messages:
- Subscriber Information Request/Answer
The S6m/S6n Diameter application application ID is 16777310, and the vendor identifier is 10415 (3GPP).
The S6t Interface Application supports the following procedures/messages:
- Configuration Information-Request/Answer
- Non IP Data Delivery(NIDD)-Information-Request/Answer
The S6t Diameter application application ID is 16777345, and the vendor identifier is 10415 (3GPP).
The T4 Interface Application supports the following procedures/messages:
The T4 Diameter application application ID is 16777311, and the vendor identifier is 10415 (3GPP).
The T6 Interface Application supports the following procedures/messages:
- Configuration Information-Request/Answer
- Mobile Originated(MO)-Data-Request/Answer
- Mobile Terminated(MT)-Data-Request/Answer
The T6 Diameter application application ID is 16777346, and the vendor identifier is 10415 (3GPP).
The Tsp Interface Application supports the following procedures/messages:
The Diameter application ID assigned to the Tsp interface application is 16777309, and the vendor identifier is 10415 (3GPP).
The dsTest SGd/Gdd Application is described here.
The dsTest Rf Interface Application is described here.
Comprehensive sets of Operational Measurements (OMs) for the applications, Diameter, and socket level are collected at configurable intervals and stored in a SQLite database on the dsTest server. Real-time measurements may be retrieved through our dsClient CLI interface or graphed via our dsClient GUI interface.
dsTest is known for its capacity and performance testing capabilities, providing stateful, standards-based applications that react appropriately to both expected and unexpected events, simplifying the process of performance testing the signaling core. Read more about our Performance testing capabilities.
dsTest also provides many tools for compliance and functional testing of EPC interfaces and protocols.
- S6c – TS 29.338
- S6m/S6n – TS 29.336
- S6t – TS 29.336
- SGd/Gdd – TS 29.338
- T4 – TS 29.337
- T6 – TS 29.128
- Tsp – TS 29.368
- TS 22.368, TS 23.187, TS 23.888
- Diameter – RFC 6733
- C-SGN: TS 23.401
- CIoT Network Reference mousepad (Complimentary)
- EPC Network Reference mousepad (Complimentary)
- Diameter Dictionary
- Diameter Result Codes
- RADIUS Dictionary
- S1 Dictionary
- GTPv1 Dictionary
- GTPv2 Dictionary
- GTP Cause Values
- MAP Dictionary
- M3 Dictionary
- SIP Response Codes
- Specification Map