Developing Solutions provides a HTTP SmartFlow feature with its dsTest suite of network testing software products. HTTP SmartFlow is intended for exchanging structured information in a decentralized, distributed environment. It extends HTTP for XML messaging, and defines an extensible messaging framework independent of implementation-specific semantics. You define the content of the messages sent as well as templates for the expected responses. Message content may include subscriber-specific information or information captured from a received message. SmartFlow is driven by events — either the receipt of a HTTP message or the receipt of a HTTP application event. Use the visual composer to define the sequence of your flow with event handlers.
dsTest’s HTTP SmartFlow supports the following messages:
- Get — Retrieve data
- Put — Retrieve data
- Post — Send data to be processed
- Delete — Mark data for deletion
- Result — HTTP response with status code
HTTP message payloads include:
- Fill — insert number of bytes into payload
- File — insert contents of file into payload
- User Data — transparent data in inserted into payload, which may include subscriber-specific information
A complete set of events that can be generated with the HTTP SmartFlow application can be found here.
As with all dsTest products, the node configurations and test scenarios are easily defined and configured with XML files that are validated against a published XML Schema to avoid invalid definitions. With our dsClient GUI, you can create, run, and archive tests, capture, graph and archive operational measurements, capture real-time data flows, and manage your dsTest servers and testing scenarios with a standalone application that runs on your PC.
dsTest provides rich sets of measurements for the HTTP application:
- Transaction and transport layer attempts, successes, and failures
- Transaction duration, transactions-per-second, and round-trip delay
- Message and byte counters
- Errors encountered
You can read more about the reporting features offered with dsTest and dsClient here.