Iu-PS is the interface between the UMTS RNC (Radio Network Controller) and the SGSN (Serving GPRS Support Node) supporting UMTS integrated services such as multimedia and global roaming to mobile users.
The dsTest Iu-PS interface simulates the RNC and 3G SGSN by generating Radio Access Network Application Part (RANAP) signaling messages over SCTP as Transport layer in an IP network as defined by 3GPP standards.
The dsTest Iu-PS Interface Application provides:
- Emulation of RNC and SGSN nodes
- Mobile Originating, Mobile Terminating, Location Updating, GPRS Attach, and Detach procedures
- GPRS Mobility Management (GMM), GPRS Session Management (GSM), and RANAP Elementary procedures
- Authentication, Temporary Mobile Subscriber Identity (TMSI) Reallocation, Encryption, and other RANAP optional procedures
- Customization and negative testing of call flows and messages with SmartEvents and other dsTest advanced testing features.
Procedures provided by dsTest include:
- RAB Assignment
- RAB Release Request
- Relocation Preparation
- Relocation Resource Allocation
- Relocation Detect
- Relocation Complete
- Security Mode Control
- Iu Release
- Direct Transfer
GPRS Mobility Management (GMM) Procedures:
- Routing Area Updating (normal and periodic)
- P-TMSI Reallocation
- Authentication and Ciphering
- Service Request
Session Management (SM) Procedures:
- PDP Context Activation
- Secondary PDP Context Activation
- PDP Context Modification
- PDP Context Deactivation
A complete set of events that can be generated with the RANAP interface can be found here.
dsTest provides rich sets of measurements that include but are not limited to:
- Transaction and transport layer attempts, successes, and failures
- Transaction duration, transactions-per-second, and round-trip delay
- Message and byte counters
- Errors encountered and error indications received in messages
You can read more about the reporting features offered with dsTest and dsClient here.