dsTest Network Testing Solutions and Interfaces
dsTest offers server emulation and client simulation capabilities for comprehensive testing of 3GPP 3G/4G/5G core network interface functionality and performance. Select the interfaces required to accomplish your testing goals–surround a network element with client simulators that simulate client activity, or provision a server emulator with the interfaces necessary to support end-to-end testing, test agents and proxies using both client simulation and server emulation. Test your LTE, EPC, eMBMS, SMS, WLAN Offload, VoLTE and CIoT networks or gather Big Data to support the identification of patterns and that will provide new business opportunities, revenues, and efficiencies to network operations. dsTest is a software product that provides an environment that supports the goals of network function virtualization (NFV) and Software Defined Networking (SDN). See Overview, Capacity and Performance, and Architecture for dsTest specifics.
Test serving network element policy, credit, and charging functionality with our PCRF, OCS, OFCS and gsmSCF server emulators. Test the capacity and performance of policy and credit management servers with our interface simulation applications. With the PCRF and TDF, use DPI to identify gather Big Data patterns to identify new business opportunities, revenues, and efficiencies to network operations. In addition to the interfaces shown above, we also support RADIUS, 3GPP RADIUS, and NASREQ.
dsTest is targeted for network equipment manufacturers and service providers to enable reduced time to market of new services while ensuring the network quality and performance requirements are not compromised. It allows you to validate the network performance and capacity in a realistic network environment with a mix of subscriber profiles, replicating a deployed configuration.
Designed explicitly to facilitate the cost-effective testing of high performance protocols and applications, dsTest is focused on 3G and 4G core network service interfaces to support your network evolution testing. A suite of common components expedites the development cycle, allowing us to provide testing capabilities in a timeframe that can assist both vendors and carriers during the development and deployment of the evolved core network. dsTest provides a base from which new protocols and applications can be quickly developed to support new standards or custom protocols and applications.
- Measure call performance and capacity
- Verify new mobility features and standards before deployment
- Identify performance ceilings and bottlenecks
- Validate system scalability with easily scalable subscriber loads
- Plan capacity
- Interactive control and monitoring for real-time test configuration, event triggering, and measurement sampling
- Unattended test modes for users creating real-world scenarios with heavy load and long-duration stability tests
Network interface applications (client simulators or service node emulators) are individually licensed, allowing you to purchase only the interface functionality that your test plans require. Applications focus on true emulation rather than scripted commands and responses. Support node emulators implement interaction between active interfaces where applicable when more than one interface is licensed.
In an optimal configuration, dsTest supports the following maximums on the reference platform:
- More than 200,000,000 subscribers, depending on memory capacity and emulator configuration (number of nodes, number of interfaces, and the number of features enabled)
- Expanded memory capacity results in a nearly linear expansion of subscriber/session capacity
- Up to 40,000 transactions per second per active core (an application layer request/response exchange is considered a transaction)
Performance can be impacted by:
- the number of messages required for each call
- the amount of subscriber data required for each message
- the number of features enabled
- the cache structure/size
- the memory bus and I/O throughput
- the number of CPU cores and CPU clock speed
Capacity is largely based on the amount of available memory and can also be impacted by the configuration.
- 32-Core Intel Xeon E54650 @ 2.70GHz
- 524GB (32X16MB) 1600 MHz Dual Rank Memory
- Ubuntu 12.10 x86_64 Server Edition
Portable Platforms: dsTest NTG
- RM Cortex-A9 CPU (iMX6 quad core 1.2Ghz)
- 2 GB RAM
- 32 GB solid state disk
- 2xGb Ethernet
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 3.0
- 4x USG 2.0/USB OTG
- 1080p HDMI 1.4 + DVI-D
- S/PDIF & analog audio
- Micro SD
- 2x RS232 serial
- Power 12v DC 1.5A
- 135mm x 100mm x 21mm (5.3″ x 3.9″ x 0.8″)
*Smartphone not included
dsTest is designed to run on a wide variety of computer platforms, allowing you to invest in the hardware that best suits your needs. The highly-threaded software architecture is designed to efficiently utilize multi-core and 64-bit CPUs.
- Software-based solution can be installed on rack-mounted servers or portable computers
- Remote monitoring and control via command line interface
- Configure test scenarios with XML files that are validated against a published XML Schema to avoid invalid definitions
- Published server control interface (XML/TCP) to allow development of remote automated control
- Rich set of operational measurements, collected at customizable intervals and stored in an SQLite database on the server, facilitate test analysis, troubleshooting, and fine-tuning. Real-time measurements may be retrieved through the CLI interface or graphed via the GUI interface.